A decadent chocolate treat that is a healthy alternative to normal chocolate puddings…AND super easy to make
So how have we made this healthier?
- We have replaced butter with olive oil to provide heart healthy monounsturated fats
- We have used lots of cocoa powder which is rich in antioxidants and very low in fat and no sugar, instead of lots of chocolate which is high in fat and sugar
- We have replaced sugar with Natvia (an all natural sweetener). You can find lots of great information on Natvia on their website here. It has 0.6calories per teaspoon as opposed to sugar which has 16 calories per teaspoon.
- We’ve used a small amount of dark chocolate, also rich in antioxidants
- The portion size is perfect for those keeping an eye on their waist line
This recipe is a ‘one bowl wonder’ and only takes 5 minutes of your time. Before we get going, this recipe is cooked in the microwave, however if you don’t like using a microwave you can simply bake in the oven on 180 degrees in oven proof dishes. Cooking times will vary greatly depending on size of dish. Also, there are lots of different variations to this recipe that you will discover if you read on.
Let’s get started:
- 4tbsp plain flour (or almond meal for a gluten free alternative)
- 2 tbsp Natvia (or ou can replace with equal quantity of sugar)
- 2 tsp Cocoa
- 1 tsp baking powder
- Pinch of salt
- 1 egg
- 3 tbsp milk (rice milk, almond milk or oat milk will also work for a dairy alternative)
- 3 tbsp olive oil (or melted butter/margarine)
- 3 tbsp good quality dark chocolate chopped finely
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- Variations: 1 tsp instant coffee powder/1 tbsp orange zest/ 3 chopped fresh dates
- In a large bowl, place all dry ingredients (flour, natvia, cocoa, baking powder, salt) and combine thoroughly with a wooden spoon.
- Into this bowl, add the wet ingredients (egg, milk, oil, vanilla essence) and the chopped chocolate.
- Add the variations if using any.
- Stir thoroughly to combine.
- Divide mixture amongst 2 microwave safe mugs.
- Optional variation: Place a teaspoon of peanut butter in the centre of the filled mug and mixture YUM!).
- Cover mug with cling wrap.
- Place in microwave and cook one at a time.
- Cooking times will vary as microwaves settings are very different form one another. Cook on medium heat for 30 seconds and check to see if cooked. Pudding should be firm but will also have a soft centre.
- Continue to cook on 10 second intervals until cooked.