Words by: The Chef Photographs by: The Nutrition Guru
Caremelised onions are such a staple. Cook up a batch and keep in the fridge to add to your meals for the week. Add to steak sandwiches, baked dinners, on top of poached eggs for breakfast, or tossed through lentils and salads. They add flavour to everything. Here I will give you my tips and tricks for the perfect caramelised onions.
- 3 large onions – Peeled and sliced thinly
- Balsamic Vinegar
- Olive Oil
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Start with a frying pan on medium heat.
- Add enough olive oil to cover the surface of your pan.
- Add sliced onions and stir to coat in the olive oil.
- Onions should start to brown after 5 minutes in the pan.
- Continue to cook, stirring regularly to prevent burning.
- Add approximately 1-3 tablespoon of Balsamic Vinegar (depending on your taste) and stir quickly.
- If the onions start to burn, turn heat down and add a slash of water.
- Continue to cook until the onions reach the desired colour you are after (see picture).
- Add salt and pepper to taste
- Add 1 tsp Worcestershire Sauce
- Add 1 tsp sugar