Words, recipe and Photography by: The Nutrition Guru
You are probably mortified by the sound of avocado in an icecream. Stick with me here. One of our philosophies is ‘you never know till you give it a go’. This is definately one of those dishes.
I do love avocado’s for their creamy, nutty flavour as well as their numerous health benefits of course. After first becoming addicted to them in Singapore I drink a lot of avocado milkshakes, especially in the Summertime. I wanted to try and re-create the milkshake, in icecream form.
This recipe uses sugar syrup and cream, although I will provide some simple alternatives at the end. I was very pleased with the way this icecream turned out, as it is super soft and luxurious.
3 small ripe avocados
3/4 cup castor sugar
1 cup greek yoghurt or sour cream
1/2 cup thickened cream
- Scoop out the flesh from the avocado’s and place all ingredients in either a blender and mix, or a large bowl and use a hand mixer to blend until a smooth paste.
- Churn in the icecream maker according to manufacturers instructions
- Alternatively you can drink the mixture as a smoothie, or line a container with glad wrap and pour mixture into lined container. Place in freezer. Remove every half an hour and scrape mixture with a fork and return back to freezer. Repeat approximately 4 times.
- Replace sugar with 1/2 C honey
- Replace yoghurt/sour cream with the same quantity of low fat yoghurt, low fat sour cream, milk, coconut milk or coconut cream (or the light versions of).
- Add 4 tbsp cocoa powder to make a decadent chocolate treat.