Words, recipe and photographs by: The Nutrition Guru.
Ok so my soft spot is for icecream. I just love it. My boss has recently let me borrow an icecream machine so I am in heaven, and so is The Chef with all this icecream I’ve been churning.
The reason I’m really loving making my own is that I have control over what’s in it. At least I know it doesn’t have colours, flavours and all sorts of stabilisers and ‘fluffy stuff’.This recipe does use cream and sugar, but we eat a very nutritious diet so having a little treat such as this every now and again is not the end of the world!
Tangelo’s are delicious, and although they are a winter fruit they evoke feelings of summer for me as they are sweet, zingy and aromatic. I would describe them as a cross between a mandarin-orange-apple.
- Juice of 3 tangelos
- 1 cup sugar or 3/4 cup honey
- 1 cup water
- 2/3 cup cream
- Place sugar and water in a saucepan and bring to the boil
- Leave boiling for 2 mins and then remove from the heat
- Pour the tangelo juice into the sugar mixture and stir to combine
- Add the cream to the mixture and stir to combine
- Leave to cool
- Churn in icecream machine according to manufacturers instructions
- Place in an air tight container and freeze. Remove from freezer and blend to resemble an ice slushy. Pour into tall glasses.