If I could eat mountains of chocolate, I would. It’s difficult to deny that chocolate flavour is divine and addictive. So, as a way to steer away from chocolate bars – high in fat and sugar, I find simply adding cocoa to milk curbs my cravings.
If you are an active person, this is also the perfect recovery drink. Not only does it taste dreamy but it provides your essential hit of protein from the milk and nuts. Importantly, the milk also contains the perfect amount of electrolytes, important for rehydration and the cocoa gives that extra hit of potassium. The carbohydrates from the milk and honey also help to replenish and recover.
So here is my recipe for chocolate peanut smoothie. I’ve added peanut butter because it’s delicious and because it has loads of health benefits which you can find at the end.
- 1.5 cups of your choice of milk
- 1 tsp natural peanut butter (you could also use tahini, or almond/cashew/ macadamia nut paste).
- 1 tsp honey
- 1 tbsp cocoa powder
- 1 tsp chia seeds
Nutritional run down
- Dairy Milk is high in protein and a wide range of vitamins and minerals. This protein can help you to feel fuller for longer
- Peanuts are also high in protein, as well as vitamin E. Vitamin E is an antioxidant that prevents cell damage and particularly useful in keeping hair, skin and nails healthy. Rosveratrol, another antioxidant found in grape skins is also high in peanuts and may help to prevent heart disease and some cancers. Peanuts are high in fat, though this fat is the healthy monounsaturated fats which can potentially lower your risk of heart disease. Looko for a natural peanut butter that is low in added salt and sugar.
- Honey is a natural sweetener with antimicrobial and antibacterial properties.
- Cocoa is low in fat and high in potassium. Potassium can help to reduce blood pressure.
- And finally, chia seeds are a highly nutritious seed which is high in protein, iron, and omega 3 oils.
Looking for another smoothie idea? Check out my strawberry smoothie here:
Stay happy and healthy, and leave a comment below if you have a favourite smoothie recipe!