In the back of the pantry, I found a half eaten bag of popcorn from last week. It was stale, though instead of throwing it out I decided to blitz it up to make breadcrumbs.
This mix makes a great coating for chicken, fish, a filler for rissoles or patties. Simply use to replace bread crumbs in any of your favourite recipes.
- 4 cups popcorn (salted)
- 3 tbsp paprika
- Throw both ingredients into a blender and pulse until mixture resembles fine bread crumbs.
- If you use unsalted popcorn, add salt to taste once you have blended the popcorn if you wish.
Normally, breadcrumbs are made from processed white bread with very little fibre. These crumbs are not only good for people who may be intolerant to gluten, but a fabulous way to add fibre to any meal as popcorn is packed full of fibre.
Choose an unbuttered popcorn as buttered varieties contain extra fat and kilojoules. The recipe will work however with buttered popcorn, it’s just down to a matter of your nutrition goals.
- Gluten Free Nutty Plum and Apple Crumble (thenutritionguruandthechef.wordpress.com)
- Chocolate Beetroot Cake (thenutritionguruandthechef.wordpress.com)
- Chocolate Sweet Potato Cake (thenutritionguruandthechef.wordpress.com)