2 cups of ground nuts (see method)
1/2 cup grated coconut, dessicated coconut, or coconut flakes
1 1/2 cups grated sweet potato (skin included)
1/4 cup oil (sunflower or olive oil, you can substitute with coconut if you wish, though read my view on coconut oil here).
1/3 cup honey or maple syrup
2 tsp baking powder (choose gluten free baking powder if coeliac or highly sensitive to gluten)
1 tbsp vinegar or apple cider vinegar
1 tbsp chai powder OR 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon mixed with 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1. Pre heat oven to 180 degrees Celsius.
2. For this recipe you can simply use 2 cups of almond meal (ground almonds). I didn’t have almonds already ground, so I blitzed 1 cup almonds in the blender then added 1 cup of macadamias. This is your flour. The macadamias need to be added last, as they have a higher oil content and will turn to butter quickly when blended. Alternative nuts are brazil nuts (don’t over blitz), cashews, pistachios.
3. Place ground nuts in a large bowl
4. Add coconut
5. Grate the sweet potato and add to the bowl
6. In a separate bowl, whisk the eggs lightly
7. Add the oil to the eggs and whisk lightly to incorporate.
8. Add the rest of the ingredients into the bowl containing the oil and eggs and mix to combine.
9. Add this wet mixture to the dry bowl of nut flour and coconut.
10. Stir with a wooden spoon to thoroughly combine.
11. Pour mixture into a greased and lined loaf pan
12. Bake for 30 minutes, until brown and a skewer inserted into the middle comes out clean.
13. Remove from oven and leave in tin to cool.